Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My husband is currently under hospice care. I understand that,

My husband is currently under hospice care. I understand that, upon his death, I will receive his Social Security check instead of mine. We have been married for 30 years. Previous to our marriage, I was married for 19 years to another man. That marriage ended in divorce.
Am I eligible for any benefits through my first husband's social security?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

I am assuming that you married your current husband prior to reaching the age of 60

Customer:

Yes, I married my current husband at my age 43. I'm okay today.

MyVirtualCPA :

In that case, you would not qualify for benefits on your prior husband

Customer:

Am I to understand that I would only be eligible for first husband's benefits if I had remarried after I was 60?

MyVirtualCPA :

That is correct - or if your current marriage ends in divorce or death

MyVirtualCPA :

but even then you can only draw one benefit - you can't draw both on your husband and your prior husband at the same time.

Customer:

I understand. Thank you.

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, and social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a few days you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on that survey is greatly appreciated.