dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I am applying for my SS benefits online. I am 69, turn 70

I am applying for my SS benefits online. I am 69, turn 70 on 12/21/43. I thought I was meant to apply now for maximum benefit. But, should I wait to complete this form after I turn 70?

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 35 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

You CAN apply now. And once you are approved, suspend your benefits which means that you will not get a check. Then, once you turn 70, restart your benefits so that you can get the maximum award.

Note, SSA will never give you a straight answer and their site is very confusing. And I am glad to came here.

Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am compensated for helping you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But it seems to me least complicated if I just wait 3 months until I am 70, do you not agree? I do not lose benefits by doing so, correct?

Sure. You can wait as that would save a trip to the SSA to suspend your benefits. Whatever works best for you. I just wanted you to have the most complete information so you can then decide.

I wish you well. Thanks in advance for your kind rating.