dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

my wife will be62 in jan2014 i turned66 inmay i wouldlike to

my wife will be62 in jan2014 i turned66 inmay i wouldlike to take ss at67 q:should my wife take ss at62 and then re apply for half of mybenefit at66

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 35 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

If you can avoid her taking her SS at 62, it would be smarter to hold off. That is because when she takes early SS at 62, her benefit is reduced by 25%. Likewise, when she applies for her spousal benefit, her one half spousal benefit is then further reduced by 25% because she took early SS benefits at age 62. As such, the early benefits penalty follows her for life!

Thanks for your question. Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am compensated for assisting you.