retirementlawyer
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Experience:  13 years experience in social security
16356563

I filed for disability 3 years ago and have been receiving

I filed for disability 3 years ago and have been receiving an SSA medicare check since then. In the meantime, my doctor has informed me that this is a lifetime injury. Also my husband has lost his job since the original filing. Is there a way to REFILE for an increase in my current monthly allotment?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response: Unfortunately, the answer is no. Your payment is NOT based on your injury, it is based on your earnings history. So, it does not make a difference if you are now disabled for life, your payment would remain the same. Then when you become eligible for retirement benefits, your disability would change to retirement benefits. For more information, click on the link below:

Disability benefits amount

Disability to retirement benefits

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, I have ethical and professional obligation to give an honest and accurate information eventhough that information may not be in your favor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am 63 now. When I file for retirement benefits, WHEN and

WHAT is that based on. I only worked about 15 years in my life. Can this make difference on how much $$ this is based.

Response:
You would receive the same amount that you are receiving now. Your disability benefits and retirement benefits are based on your LIFETIME earnings under the Social Security system—where you contributed to the Social Security system.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

When these disabilities started, they mailed me a MEDICARE HEALTH INSURANCE ID...Is this anything to do with retirement left when that time comes. Also my automatic payment in my bank states:

SSA Treasury 31

XXSOC. SEC,

PPD ID (then my id number)

Explain what each has to do with which part of our government departments.

Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 11 months ago.
Since you receive disability, your benefits will convert to social security at full retirement age at age 66. Your benefits will not be lowered.

The medicare card is good for you in that you have medical coverage through the medicare program, and did not have to wait till age 65.

The Treasury department is who issues checks.
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Experience: 13 years experience in social security
thank you for your patience.