Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My husband is 63 years old and receiving social security.

My husband is 63 years old and receiving social security. I will turn 62 in September. Can I apply for FAASF "File as a Spouse First", now and let my own social security continue to grow until I am at full retirement age and then convert over to my own social security? My social social security is just a little less than my husband's due to both of us earning close to the same amount when we worked. I have called the social security office about this question, they said they never heard of this form. Any help would be appreciated.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

You cannot deploy FAASF until you are full retirement age. You cannot draw a spousal benefit early, and allow your own benefit to grow.

MyVirtualCPA :

FAASF is not an application or form - it's a method by which some people take their benefits

MyVirtualCPA :

FAASF works when you apply at full retirement age, draw a spousal benefit, then draw your own benefit at 70 when its the max

Customer:

What does file as a spouse first mean anyway?

MyVirtualCPA :

It means you file for your spousal benefit before your own benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting today

Customer:

So FAASF benefit would not apply to me until I reach the age of 66, so my only other options at this time would be to take my social security at a reduced rate or wait until age 66 to get my benefits? Or are there any other options I should be considering?

MyVirtualCPA :

Those are your only two current options, given your age.

MyVirtualCPA :

Once you reach full retirement age, you can take your benefit in full or the spousal benefit and allow your own benefit to reach its max at age 70

Customer:

Thanks for the information.

MyVirtualCPA :

YOu're certainly welcome

MyVirtualCPA :

If you would, please rate my resopnse as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Kathy for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. Please fill out that survey favorably, as it will assist me with my rankings on the site.

Thanks again!