dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

My son won a settlement from the county (MI) for civil rights

My son won a settlement from the county (MI) for civil rights violation in the amount of 500,000. Will this cause him to loose his disability benefit; SSD?

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 34 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

If you son is receiving SSD, as he has worked and had work credits when he became disabled, then the 500K settlement will have NO affect on his continued eligibility for SSD. However, if your son receives SSI which is a welfare disability program for persons who have not worked or not worked alone, the settlement will make him ineligible.

Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am compensated for assisting you. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He will also remain medicare eligible/

Absolutely! Nothing changes.