Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Husband draws s/s benefits, approx. $21,000/annum. Wife draws

Husband draws s/s benefits, approx. $21,000/annum. Wife draws Tx teacher pension
approx. $30,000/yr. In event of husband's death, does surviving wife have any
social security benefits?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with the figures you have given me, the wife would only have a social security benefit of $1,000 per year

MyVirtualCPA :

Due to the government pension offset, the survivor benefit would be reduced by 2/3 of the teacher pension

MyVirtualCPA :

So, if the teacher pension is $30,000 the social security benefit would be reduced by $20,000

MyVirtualCPA :

If the social security benefit is $21,000 that means that $1,000 is left

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

I expected zero s/s benefit so approx. $1,000 better than nothing.

Thanks, Borden for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. I would appreciate your positive feedback on that survey so that I may remain in good standing with the site