Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

My issue is very specific and I need to know if you can assist

My issue is very specific and I need to know if you can assist me. It's not just a matter of filing as an expatriate. It's a little more complicated than that. I have formerly filed as an expatriate and claimed my foreign earned exclusion, so that I had no taxes to pay.

My specific concern is my Social Security. It seems that when I was formerly in U.S Territory (Puerto Rico) and regularly filed my taxes, something happened which resulted in my missing my entire 1977 year as employed. 1977 just seems to be entirely missing from my record. As a result, I'm five (5) credits short to qualify for retirement. The company for which I worked in 1977 has folded and the chief executives who could have verified my employment are deceased (General Manager, CFO).

A friend who is self employed, suggested that I file as self employed, while living abroad, paying my SSA taxes, and thus accumulating retirement credits. I'm hoping that I can start with my 2013 return, which is representative of four (4) credits.

Last year, on or about July, I had to close my company (Nutech Engineering, Inc.) in the Dominican Republic, mainly because my largest and principal client, the Dominican government, failed to honor their debts to our D.R. company. I have, since, maintained myself doing some photography work and other odd jobs. I never kept receipts of expenses, since I was unaware of my retirement credits deficit until July of this year, when I started inquiring as to the process of filing for retirement.

The specific assistance I seek from you is:

1- Helping me find someone who can help with my filing as a self employed individual in order to accumulate the necessary credits I need to retire and
2- Orientation as to how to proceed.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Michael W. Banks
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you typically have any US tax obligation while you live abroad. That is, are you a US resident or citizen?

MyVirtualCPA :

If you are not a US resident or citizen, then you cannot simply file a tax return in order to gain social security credits

MyVirtualCPA :

If you are already a resident or citizen, then you will simply mark your self employed income on schedule C. Your self employment taxes that you pay on your return are actually social security payments.

MyVirtualCPA :

So, basically if you are not a US resident or citizen you can't file a return to get credits. You would have to move to the US or become a resident (or stay there 183 days in a year).

MyVirtualCPA :

If you are, all you have to do is file schedule C with your self employed income and expenses

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions about this?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you may have more information. Please provide me with any details that may help me with further assisting you by replying below. Otherwise, please reply and let me know if I have provided you with excellent service

Customer:

I'm a US citizen. I've read about form 1040-SE. However, according to what I've read, my earnings will no longer include the tax credit applicable to form 2555 for foreign earned income. is this correct, or have I misunderstood the IRS? If all I need to do is file schedule C, then with which form do I submit said schedule (1040, 1040-Se or 2555)?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for your follow up. It is true if you claim self employed, you would not be able to include the tax credit on form 2555. You can have one or the other - the ss credits or the credit, but not both. You will submit form 1040 with schedules C and SE to claim the tax

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX much. I'm finally oriented as to this matter.

Customer:

One other question: When and where do I pay my taxes due?

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm glad I could be of assistance. If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

MyVirtualCPA :

You have to pay your taxes on form 1040 by April 15 - you will send your return and payment, if applicable -to the address listed in the instructions to the 1040

Customer:

Thank you.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, Michael for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a few days you may receive a short survey. I would appreciate high marks on this survey as it will assist me with my rankings on the site. Thanks again.