Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

is it true that my wife can get 50% of my social security each

is it true that my wife can get 50% of my social security each month while I continue to get the same amount that I now get? can we do this if she is now getting her own social security?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, what you have heard is true - your wife can get 1/2 of your social security while you still draw your full benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

But, this benefit is instead of her own benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

She cannot draw both

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else you need assistance with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please rate my response as excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer