Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Hi Will be filing next month for SS in January. I will

Hi Will be filing next month for SS in January. I will be 62. Last statement in 2009 says benefit will be about 1200 a month.

A web site says I might be able to draw more (SS 211). Is that true?

My wife currently gets 500 a month. Can she get more? She is partially disabled too, and we have not filed for any type of extra benefit for her.

I am currently paying State of Ca for back taxes (set amount on a very low paying job), and will soon set a payment amount for Federal back taxes. Can either tap my social security?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today? How much you draw, depends on how much you earn, and it's possible that you will draw more than $1,200 if you had a couple of years where your earnings were higher.

MyVirtualCPA :

But, the change would be negligible - $100 per month at most

MyVirtualCPA :

Your wife can draw 50% of your benefit, so if she's drawing $500 per month, she could get more off your record

MyVirtualCPA :

The state of California cannot tap your social security benefits, but the IRS can.

MyVirtualCPA :

Typically, the IRS will take 15% of your social security benefit - but they can take more if they deem it necessary. However, they don't typically take more unless you have other sources of income from which to pay your tax debt.

Customer:

can my wife's disability help on benefits at all

MyVirtualCPA :

No, it would not bring her any additional benefit.

Customer:

Then i should file next month, or is that too early

MyVirtualCPA :

Typically you file 60 days before you want benefits to start

Customer:

Ok....thank you very much bye bye

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome

MyVirtualCPA :

If you would please rate my response

MyVirtualCPA :

as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today