Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I have a daughter who has been on SSI since she was 18 yrs

I have a daughter who has been on SSI since she was 18 yrs old. Just recently she has gotten a full time at a Dr office. I had an interview with the local office last week I informed them that she was working full time without restrictions. My daughter has MS and is bipolar. The way that Soc Sec explained it to me was they're going to take away her SSI benefits. If she loses her job will she be able to get SSI. She is 28 years and does not have a GED.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, if your daughter is disabled and loses her job she will be able to collect SSI

MyVirtualCPA :

The reason she cannot have it now is because she has other income

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions? If so, please reply.

MyVirtualCPA :

Otherwise, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

My other questions is I am a retired letter carrier with Health Insurance. My daughter was determined to be eligible because she had her illness before she was 22 yrs old. I think the insurance dept said that because she is unable to support herself. Will she lose coverage with my insurance plan. It also said the period was indefinite. Thanks for your help Gary

MyVirtualCPA :

On your work health insurance typically they can only stay on the plan until age 26. If your plan is different, your human resources department should be able to assist

Customer:

I hate to bring attention to myself

MyVirtualCPA :

I understand, but I couldn't tell you with certainty she could remain on the plan because every plan is different

Customer:

Just read the letter it says approved permanently, Thanks have a great day

MyVirtualCPA :

You too. If you would please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

10+++++

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks! Please use the rating feature along the bottom of your screen