Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Im getting a divorce and I didnt know if It was ok to change

I'm getting a divorce and I didn't know if It was ok to change my name? We have been married 11yrs and I hope to draw from his SS at some point. Would it make a difference if I changed my name?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

No, it will not make a difference what your last name is. Your last name does not have to be the same as his to draw from his social security record

MyVirtualCPA :

All you will need is your marriage license, divorce decree, and your ID to file. Your name change will be in your divorce paperwork

MyVirtualCPA :

Feel free to change your name

Customer:

Thank you very much . It's ok if my SS has name change also?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, perfectly okay and quite common

Customer:

I"m good -- thank you for quick response

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. When finished with your question, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

At what age can I draw from his SS ?

MyVirtualCPA :

As early as 62, if he's still living and 60 if he passes away

Customer:

Thank you -- Excellent!

Thanks, Tricia for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, and social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you.

In a couple of days you may receive a survey. I would appreciate it if you would fill the survey out favorably as this will ensure I remain in good standing on the site.