dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I was receiving social security for my dependent child and

I was receiving social security for my dependent child and myself after my husband passed away. After 2 years, I got married again, in which I had to forfeit my stipend portion of the social security from my deceased husband's social security benefit. However, after 6 months my new marriage ended in divorce. I didn't realize my new husband was verbally abusive and deceptive (jail, DUI's, abuse), My question is, can I reinstate my social security benefits for myself as previously before this new marriage for the sake of income for my child and myself? I'm looking for work, and doing all I can to keep afloat. Please help. I live in Alabama

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 34 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

YES you can. Note, so long as your child is under 18, and you are now single, you can reinstate his dependent benefits. I wish you both well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the reinstating of benefits include me as the child's mother? My child is still receiving her portion (Social security splits out the monies between child and me as her personal representative.) I had to forfeit my particular portion because of marriage; however, my daughter still receives her monthly stipend). I'm interested to know if I can reinstate MY particular portion as it was before this marriage, as well as retaining my daughter's portion. It was quite a bit I had to forfeit when I married, and it's a shame this marriage was a sham. I guess I was too ignorant and lonely. Thanks for your help

Good news!

This is from the SSA web site:

If your second marriage ends as a result of death, divorce, or annulment in less than 10 years, you will again be eligible to collect benefits on your first spouse's record.

Accordingly, If your second marriage was less than 10 years, you should go to the SSA immediately and apply for reinstatement. I wish you well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Praise God! I can't thank you enough for helping me. I've been so stressed on this trying to make ends meet in this yuck economy. Thank you so very kindly.