Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My husband died in April 2011. We had been married for 6 years.

My husband died in April 2011. We had been married for 6 years. I recently turned sixty and have been on SSI Disability Since around 2005. When my husband passed, I was collectin my disability amd just under 300.00 a month as his widow. I had heard that onece I turned 60, I would be able to collect his Social Secuirty. Is this ture?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry to hear about your loss

MyVirtualCPA :

What you have heard is true ... you can draw a widow benefit as early as age 60

Customer:

Even if we were married for six years? I also had heard that we had to be married for 10 years. Should i just go to my loval office? Thank you for your condolences

Customer:

Local office. Sorry my typing is awful

MyVirtualCPA :

The 10 year rule is for ex spouses. If you were married at the time of his death, and were married for at least 9 months, you can draw the survivor benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

And yes, you can go to your local office to get the survivor benefit started. They will need your marriage certificate and his death certificate

Customer:

Thank you. I will take a copy of our marriage license and death certificate to the local office.

Thanks, Susan for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. I would appreciate if you would fill that survey out favorably, as this will assist me with my rankings on the site. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com