Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

My ex wife and I were married for 15 years. I am 61 years

My ex wife and I were married for 15 years. I am 61 years old. She is ill and will likely live for only two more years. I understand that I can collect spousal benefits at age 62, Will that effect what I can expect to receive when I reach 67? If she passes before or shortly after my 62nd birthday do those benefits disappear? HOw much can I expect to receive?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

I am so very sorry to hear about your ex wife's condition

MyVirtualCPA :

If your ex wife passes away, you can actually draw benefits starting at 60. This benefit would be about 70% of her benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

Once you reach the age of 67, the benefit grows to 100% of her benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

It doesn't matter when she passes - it won't affect your benefits. She could, theoretically, pass on tomorrow and you would get the same benefits

Does that mean that if I am projected to receive x number of dollars when I reach 67 that I will still receive that amount if I begin receiving these benefits soon? Do my projected benefits stay the same either way?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes your projected benefits stay the same either way

MyVirtualCPA :

her death will not impact your benefits

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with tonight?

Thank you very much. This is a great help.

Thanks, Lawrence for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA any time you need a tax, finance, or social security question answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you will receive a short survey. I would appreciate your positive feedback on that survey, as it will assist me with my ranking on the site. Thanks again and have a great night.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I think I gave you the highest rating and also added at tip to the $30 charge. If that is not showing up then please let me know and I will fix that. Once I begin to receive my benefits at the age 67 does the part I was receiving on her end of it drop off?

I think that is it for this round and thank you again,

Thanks - I did get your positive rating and bonus. It is much appreciated.

Once you draw a benefit on your own account you would no longer draw a benefit off her account - you can only have one benefit.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks, and please rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive further credit for assisting you today.