Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am currently receive social security benefits in the state

I am currently receive social security benefits in the state of Wisconsin. I am bi-polar and have not worked for many years. I am planning on moving to Utah to be closed to family.
Will my benefits be questioned in the state of UTAH and will I have to be re-evaluated by the Social Security offices in Utah?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you. With regard to your post:

Will my benefits be questioned in the state of UTAH and will I have to be re-evaluated by the Social Security offices in Utah? No. Fortunately, this is federal benefit, not a state benefit. However, generally, there is a requirement that nearly all disability claims of an ongoing nature get reviewed every few years, to determine if there has been improvement and if so, to determine if the claimant is not recovered enough to be able to work a full time occupation. This would typically not be due to a move, however, but due to the legal requirement that the SSA review each claim every few years. For this reason, it is important that you consistently get treatment and have your psychiatrist/psychologist document your ongoing severe symptoms and limitations, so you have proof that the BiPolar disorder remains disabling.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

Experience: 19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.