Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My wife is 67 and I am 57. She began receiving a meager benefit

My wife is 67 and I am 57. She began receiving a meager benefit on her own earnings at her full retirement age of 65. If I file and suspend at 62 can she begin receiving half of my PIA?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in order to file and suspend, you would need to be full retirement age.

MyVirtualCPA :

http://www.socialsecuritychoices.com/info/fileandsuspend.php

MyVirtualCPA :

So, unfortunately you could not file and suspend at age 62

Customer:

My FRA is 66. Once I reach That age will my wife then be able to switch to a spousal benefit?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, that is correct

Customer:

Last point. I often hear commenters say that waiting increases the spousal benefit. My understanding is that she would be capped at half of my PIA until I die. What led to the original question is that I was surprised to hear that if I retired at 62 she would still receive half of my PIA although I would receive a reduced benefit. Is this too good to be true?

MyVirtualCPA :

That is correct, if you retired at age 62 she would get 1/2 of your PIA amount, not 1/2 of your reduced benefit

Customer:

Wow! Something to consider. Thanks and goodbye.

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome

Thanks, David for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. I would appreciate it if you would fill out the survey favorably, as this will assist me with the rankings on this site. Thanks again.