Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

MY WIFE HAS NOT PAID IN TO SOCIAL SECURITY IN 29 YEARS AND

MY WIFE HAS NOT PAID IN TO SOCIAL SECURITY IN 29 YEARS AND IS NOW 53 YEARS OLD, IS THERE A WAY SHE CAN NOW TRY TO CATCH UP BY PAYING INTO SOCIAL SECURITY, AND ALSO WE FILE JOINTLY, WILL SHE BE ENTITLED TO MEDICARE AT AGE 65. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. PAUL C

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately, the only way to get credit for social security is to work a job where you pay social security taxes.

MyVirtualCPA :

There is no option where you can purchase credit to catch up

MyVirtualCPA :

However, your wife is entitled to a benefit equal to 1/2 of your benefit - this benefit is in addition to your own benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

And, your wife will be eligible for Medicare based on your work record - if you qualify, she will qualify too

MyVirtualCPA :

Your wife will get the full 50% of your benefit once she reaches full retirement age.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else you need assistance with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Have I provided you with excellent service?

Customer:

THANK YOU, XXXXX XXXXX ME EXCELLENT INFORMATION ON THE OUT COME, WHEN THAT TIME ARRIVES

MyVirtualCPA :

thanks. If you would, please rate my response using the rating feature on the bottom of your screen

Thanks, Paul for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, and social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. I would appreciate it if you would fill the survey out favorably as this will assist me with my rankings on the site.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day!