Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

What are the qualifications or conditions to apply for SS Disability?

What are the qualifications or conditions to apply for SS Disability? How much can I earn while on SS? What limitations on personal property and additional income?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 12 months ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

In order to qualify for social security disability, you need to have a disability that prevents you from working. This disability should last longer than 1 year or end in death

MyVirtualCPA :

There is no limitation on personal property or investment income. There is only limitations on how much you can earn.

MyVirtualCPA :

According to social security, "Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

• You cannot do work that you did before;

• We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and

• Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

MyVirtualCPA :

You can earn 750 per month with absolutely no impact on your benefit.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you earn more than $750, you can earn an unlimited amount for no longer than 9 months. After that 9 month period is over, then you can earn $1,040 per month for 36 months

MyVirtualCPA :

After that 36 months, you would no longer receive social security benefits

Customer:

If someone approximately 50 yrs old claims and receives SS Disability due to a masectomy, is it leagl or fair to maintain these privilages while owning 2 trucks, a house, work two part-time jobs and own a half interest in a ranch of 257 acres worth 1.3 million dollars?

MyVirtualCPA :

The only variable here that could pose a problem are the part time jobs, but if they earn under the allowed limit then that's not an issue either.

MyVirtualCPA :

It's perfectly acceptable to own 2 trucks, a house, and a $1.3 million ranch and still draw social security

Customer:

If this situation has gone on for ten years, is that not a problem?

MyVirtualCPA :

So long as they don't earn more than the allowed limit on the part time jobs, that's perfectly acceptable.

Customer:

What about the 36 month limit?

MyVirtualCPA :

If they are earning $750 or less, there's no issue

MyVirtualCPA :

but if they are earning an amount greater than $750 but less than $1,040 they can only do that for 36 months

Customer:

It doesn't seem fair, but I'll accept your evaluation.

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm truly sorry if this is not the news you had hoped to hear.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

Yes...please make life just and equitable.

MyVirtualCPA :

I wish I could do more, but we can't do anything to change the rules.

MyVirtualCPA :

Have I provided you with excellent service today

Customer:

Have a good day...

MyVirtualCPA :

If you would, before stepping out, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

I can't do that. At one point you say that the latitude only exists for three years, and then state it can go on indefinitely. It's rather confusing and unjust.

MyVirtualCPA :

The three year limit only comes into play if you make over $750.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you make less than that you can work indefinitely

MyVirtualCPA :

I have provided you with the social security rules as they are currently stated. A bad rating would penalize me for my honesty. While it may not seem fair for someone to be able to make $750 per month or less, social security does that to allow people to make a little extra to make ends meet - and they must treat everyone equally regardless of their other resources.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you feel like you know of someone who is abusing social security, you can report them by calling 1-800-772-1213

Customer:

I did not intend to imply you were not efficient in your response...sorry.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for your kind words. I am sorry that I had to be the bearer of bad news, but those are the rules. Sometimes the rules aren't favorable, and I get penalized personally if I get negative ratings.

MyVirtualCPA :

Negative feedback would penalize me for my honesty

Customer:

I understand and have no negative feelings...only frustration.

MyVirtualCPA :

I am sorry you are frustrated. I see cases where people are abusing the system all the time. It is very frustrating for all of us. You can rate using the feature on the bottom of the screen.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 12 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.