Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My boy friend and I both collect social security and would

My boy friend and I both collect social security and would like to get married. If we do, do I lose my social security benefit and we would only have one check coming in.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

What kind of social security benefit do you both draw? Is it SSI, retirement, or disability?

Customer:

retirement

MyVirtualCPA :

Okay, in that case, you will still draw your full benefit. Nothing will change.

MyVirtualCPA :

You will not lose your check, and neither will he. You will continue to get two separate checks

Customer:

thank you

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. If you would. please rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Shari for your positive rating. Please come back and see MyVirtualCPA for any tax, finance, or social security question you may have.

You may receive a short survey in the next couple of days. I would appreciate positive feedback on that as well, as it will assist me with my ratings on this site, and help my ability to assist other customers in the future. Thanks again!