Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

my 18 year old grandson gets suvivor benefits from his deseased

my 18 year old grandson gets suvivor benefits from his deseased father. how long can he collect these benafits?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you tonight?

MyVirtualCPA :

Your grandson can draw the benefits until the age of 18, unless he's still in high school. At that point, he collects benefits until he is out of high school, but no later than age 19.

MyVirtualCPA :

So, if he's 18 and receiving benefits, his benefits will end when he is out of school.

Customer:

highschool,college,tech school which one ?

MyVirtualCPA :

High school.

MyVirtualCPA :

The equivalent of 12th grade

MyVirtualCPA :

He will not get the benefits while attending college.

Customer:

Is 19&1/2 the max age ?

MyVirtualCPA :

The maximum age is 19.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else we can help you with today?

Customer:

Thank You Very,Very Much !

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Richard for the positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on this survey would be appreciated, as it assists me with my standing on the site. Thanks again!