dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

When I enrolled in Medical Part B, I didnt realize that my

When I enrolled in Medical Part B, I didn't realize that my medical coverage was covered under my husband's insurance; therefore, I didn't need Medical Part B. A month ago, I wrote SS asking them to drop this coverage and reimburse me for the money deducted from May 1, 2012 to July 1, 2013 because Medical Part B was not my primary coverage and I have never used this coverage. When I go to the doctor, it is paid from my husband's coverage.

They deny my request. I feel this is money that was paid for nothing because this coverage was not used. What other steps can I take to retain the money spent.

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 34 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Thanks for your question. Please note that before I answer, the answer that I provide is not always what someone wants to hear. But likewise I trust that you will respect that you came here for legal advice even when it is not what you may agree with. So here goes:

As you said, when you enrolled, you did not realize that you had coverage through your husband's work. Likewise, the SSA did not know that either. Therefore, they provided benefits for you. And your benefits were cancelled when you advised them to do so. But you are still liable, and they do not have to reimburse you for the time that you had double coverage. Sorry. Thanks for understanding.