Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in tax preparation, including some multi-national Social Security applications.

I was born in the USA (worked there until 26 1/2 yrs old).

I was born in the USA (worked there until 26 1/2 yrs old). Moved to Northern Ireland and worked there in Belfast until I retired in March 2008. I believe I have 38 quarters of work accured in the USA. Is there an agreement between the US and GB as far employment goes so I could make up the 2 quarters that I am missing. Is social security benefits calculated on a minimum of 40 quarters. My birth date is Nov. 13, 1947. If this is possible what paperwork would I need to submit to get social security benefits each month. thanks for your help.

Arthur Rubin :

There is a "totalization agreement" between the United States and the United Kingdom for Social Security benefits. Social Security suggest you contact.

• The Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in London (phone 207-499-9000) to file for U.S. benefits; or

• Any U.K. Social Security office to file for U.K. benefits.

Arthur Rubin :

Or you can apply for US benefits at any UK benefits office.

Arthur Rubin :

You will need, at least, your U.S. and U.K. Social Security numbers, proof of age for all claimants, and information about the worker's coverage under the U.K. system.

Arthur Rubin :

You are correct that UK coverage can be used to cover the required 40 credits if you have at least 6 US credits, and US coverage can be used in the UK to cover the "basic pension", if you have at least one year of UK coverage.

Arthur Rubin :

I'm going to be offline for quite a while, probably at least 12 hours. If you need more information, and that is not acceptable, please "opt" me out. I won't be offended.