Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am 66 and drawing SS now. I have been told that my wife

I am 66 and drawing SS now. I have been told that my wife who is 62 can draw SS either what she would get or half of mine which ever is highest. Is that true?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, it is true that your wife can draw up to 1/2 of your benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

However if she takes that benefit at age 62, it will be more like 35% of your benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

She would have to wait until Full Retirement Age to receive a full 50% of your benefits

MyVirtualCPA :

And yes - she can take whatever is highest - her benefit based on your record, or her own benefit

Thanks, Tony for the opportunity to assist. It was a pleasure working with you. Thanks for your positive rating - please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey from the site. I would appreciate your positive feedback on that as well, as that helps with my standing on the site. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.