Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

I worked as a Deputy Sheriff for 6 years for the county I live

I worked as a Deputy Sheriff for 6 years for the county I live in which DID NOT participate in Social Security. I transfered to an agency which DID particiapte in SS. I was injured in the line of duty and now obtain an INDUSTRIAL DISABILITY pension through CalPers. Since my pension was derived during my time with the SS participating agency, would be SS still be reduced by any offset, WEP etc??

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you? I'm sorry to hear that you got hurt in the line of duty.

MyVirtualCPA :

The only time you are subject to WEP is if you are receiving a benefit from service that you provided while not paying into social security

MyVirtualCPA :

So, if you are getting a pension or disability benefit from the time that you DID pay into social security, you should not be subject to WEP

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks for the opportunity to assist. I see you were unable to join our live chat. If tyou would, please review the response. Then, if you have further questions, reply below. Otherwise, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again.
Thank you for your positive rating. It is greatly appreciated. Please come back and visit me, MyVirtualCPA, any time you have a question. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days, you may receive a survey from the site. Please give your positive feedback on this survey, as that helps with my standing on the site. Thanks again!