retirementlawyer
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Experience:  13 years experience in social security
16356563

I AM 64 YEARS OLD AND STILL WORKING- I WILL APPLY FOR SOC SEC

I AM 64 YEARS OLD AND STILL WORKING- I WILL APPLY FOR SOC SEC AT AGE 66.
MY WIFE IS RETIRED AND IS 63 YEARS OLD AND IS ELIGIBLE FOR EARLY SOC SEC NOW.
MY QUESTION IS IF SHE APPLIES FOR SOC SEC NOW CAN SHE THEN COLLECT A HIGHER BENEFIT ON MY ACCOUNT WHEN I APPLY FOR SOC SEC WHEN I TURN 66 OR IS SHE FOREVER LOCKED INTO HER AMOUNT NOW BASED UPON HER OWN EARNINGS?

retirementlawyer :

If your spouse, takes early benefits, the penalty will remain, even if she switches to spousal benefits, when you are at full retirement age,

retirementlawyer :

between age 62 and their full retirement age, the amount will be permanently reduced by a percentage based on the number of months up to his or her full retirement age.

retirementlawyer :

At age 63 the penalty would be around 20%, if she can delay taking it by one year she would save about 12%, so she could receive 12% more

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You did not actually answer my question. If my wife now applies for SS at 63 based upon her own account will she be able to claim a higher benefit based upon my account when I turn 66 and apply for benefits or will she continue to only get her SS that she would be receiving at her age 63 and on her own account?

She could apply later for spousal benefits, and would be given the higher amount, if the benefit on your record is a higher amount, she will get a combination of benefits that equals that higher amount (reduced for age).

It doesn't matter if your spouse starts getting benefits before, after, or at the same time