LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I am going to work until 70. Can my wife start taking her social

I am going to work until 70. Can my wife start taking her social security at 62 without penaly. She will not be working. Thanks
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

What do you mean when you say "without penalty"? What sort of penalty are you referring to?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will my income effect her getting benefits?

Good morning,

Thank you for your clarification.

No, your income is entirely related to your wife's qualification for benefits. Whether you are earning $10,000 or $200,000 per year, her retirement benefit will be unchanged.

She does need to realize though that by retiring before her full retirement age that she will be getting less of a benefit than she would by waiting until age 66.

But no, your income will not impact on her benefit rights.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.