Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

hi, i started collecting SS when i turned 62. i am now 66

hi,
i started collecting SS when i turned 62. i am now 66 and my husband is 66. he is going to file & suspend. what i want to know is: can i pay back the $ i have received thus far so that i can receive more of his SS benefit?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately, you can only withdraw your social security application within the first 12 months of receiving benefits

Customer:

so what you're saying is i cannot pay back what i have received and get more of my husbands SS ? right?

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately, that is correct. However, you can receive an increased amount, although it won't be equal to 1/2 his benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

You would take 1/2 of his benefit, and subtract out what you would have received if you drew your benefit at age 66. Then, you take that amount and add it to what you are currently drawing

MyVirtualCPA :

So, if 1/2 of your husband's benefit was $1,200 and you would have drawn $1,000 at full retirement and are actually drawing $750, you would take $1,200-1,000 = $200 and add that $200 to $750 for a benefit of $950

Customer:

wow....ok sooo he gets the max which is $2533 per month. what would my amount have been if i had waited until 66 to draw on his? right now i am drawing approx. $611 per month. and how do i explain this to the SS office when i call them? or should i do this on-line?

MyVirtualCPA :

Your benefit would have been $1,267 per month.

MyVirtualCPA :

Your benefit at full retirement age would have been about $900 per month. So, you can increase your benefit by $367 per month

Customer:

also, am i only paying you $60 total? i was confused about paying a monthly fee?

MyVirtualCPA :

You should only pay $60 one time. If you're concerned that you signed up for a subscription, you can email customer service and request that they ensure that you were not enrolled in a subscription

MyVirtualCPA :

And, when you call social security you would tell them that you want to switch to spousal benefits. They will make the calculation and your benefit should increase by about $367 per month

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have further questions/

MyVirtualCPA :

If you have no further questions, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

ok

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you need anything else?

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Janet. I really appreciate that you requested me directly today. I appreciate your positive rating. If you need anything else, please come back to me. I can answer tax, finance, or social security questions.

Also, you will receive a survey in your email in a couple of days. Your positive feedback on this survey will help me with my status on the site. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks. i wish i'd had you before i turned 62 :)

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Oh Thank you very much. Well you have me now so feel free to contact me anytime. I am usually online most all day and night so I can answer any question you have in a timaly manner.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Thanks again.
Megan