LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

My husband was diagnosed with Mod-Sev Alzheimers dementia in

My husband was diagnosed with Mod-Sev Alzheimers dementia in march. He is only 64. How do we apply for Medicare? He receives SS Retirement.

Good morning Teddy,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. When will your husband be 65?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nov. 2015

Good morning Teddy,

I'm confused. You have already stated that your husband is 64. That would mean that he must turn 65 no later than 1 year from today---which would be in 2014----but I guess the exact date is not critical.

People qualify for Medicare only in two ways. They either must be 65 years old, or they must be legally disabled and receiving social security disability benefits (SSDI) for at least 2 years, and then the person becomes eligible for MediCare.

I'm afraid that until your husband reached age 65, unless he has been receiving SSDI benefits for at least 2 years before reaching age 65, that he will not be eligible for MediCare. While social security does allow individuals to take early retirement benefits, there is no program to allow a person to take MediCare early.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Teddy. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.