LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I live in New York State. I am 56 years old and am receiving

I live in New York State. I am 56 years old and am receiving SSDI benefits. Do you know what the allowed monthly income from a job is, without losing SSDI benefits?

I know there are all sorts of formulas for semi-annual, quarterly, monthly....... They confuse me. I just want to know what it comes to on a monthly basis.

thanks
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Eva,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Social Security has what is called a trial work period. It is a period of 9 separate months where you may earn as much as you want. In 2013, any months you earn less than $750 gross wages in do not count. After you have had a total of 9 months where you earned more than $750 gross, you will be able to work and continue to receive benefits so long as you do not earn more than $1,040 per month.

Here is a link to a social security site which explains this in greater detail: http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/ssdi-only-employment-supports.htm

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
Experience: I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Eva. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please allow me to summarize what I understand and ask a couple of questions.

During the calendar year 2013; I am allowed to earn an unlimited income for up to 9 months without jeopardizing my benefits. The 9 months don't have to be consecutive. The remaining 3 months in the year my income can be up to $1,040, again, without jeopardizing benefits.

What is confusing me is the $750 figure used in the formulas. "$750 not counting".

If I were to earn less than $750 in a month; it doesn't have to be reported? What is the first $750 mean? This is where I usually get confused. I have low reading comprehension skills so reading and rereading information, doesn't stick. And if I think I understand, often I am wrong.

thanks

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Eva,

You wote:

During the calendar year 2013; I am allowed to earn an unlimited income for up to 9 months without jeopardizing my benefits.
No, that is not true. Starting whenever you want---calendar years not important----you may earn income in ANY month. IN any month that you earn $750 or more gross, that counts as one of the 9 free months. In theory, you could do it in 9 consecutive months---or you could have it occur over a 9 year period, having only one such month a year. The 9 months don't have to be consecutive. The remaining 3 months in the year my income can be up to $1,040, again, without jeopardizing benefits. Consider that as phase 1---called the Trial Work Period.

Phase 2-----the Re-Entitlement period----- is the 36 month period following Phase one and IS 3 consecutive calendar years.

During the 36-month re-entitlement period, you get benefits for months your earnings or work activities are below the substantial gainful activity (SGA) level ---$750 per month in 20123----as long as you continue to have a disabling impairment. Social Security will suspend benefits for months your earnings are over the SGA level.

The first time that you work above SGA in the EPE, they will decide that you no longer meet the requirements for disability due to work, and they presume that your disability ”ceased”. They will pay benefits for the month your disability ceased and the following 2 months. They call this the grace period. If your earnings fall below SGA and you are still in the 36-month re-entitlement period, they can restart your benefits without a new application.

If I were to earn less than $750 in a month; it doesn't have to be reported?
You must report any earnings or changes in income to the SSA by the 10th of the following month

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again.

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologize I am still having trouble understanding. Is there a way you can give me #'s. For Example:

SSDI allows monthly earnings up to $1,040/mo without losing benefits.

I am not really interested in how many months and how much or what percentage. It only confuses this poor confused person.

This problem contributed to my disability. Confusion (and other brain problems) chuckles

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eva,

Quite simply you have the 9 individual months where you can earn as much as you want. The month only counts though if you earn more then $750.

After that, during the Re-Entitlement period of 3 years, if you earn more than $1,040 in any month, you will lose all of your benefits for that month. So if you earned $1,200 in a month, you would not get your benefit for that month. If you were able to limit your income to $1,000, then you would get your full benefit.

After the initial 9 months has passed, and then 3 more calendar years after that has passed, if you then earn more than $1040 in any single month, your benefits will be terminated by social security.

Doug
LawTalk, Attorney