dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My 2 year-old son has Down Syndrome and has been receiving

My 2 year-old son has Down Syndrome and has been receiving benefits since Dec. 2012 (monthly payments). He is owed around $7000 in back pay. I received a $1900 payment that was deposited into a dedicated account in December 2012. Since then I haven't received anything else. When should some more of the back pay be deposited in the dedicated account?

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 34 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Back benefits for children are paid in three installments and over a year period. However, by now, you should have received at least the first installment. Accordingly, do not call but go to any SSA office as you will get the information you need a lot faster. Note, part of the holdup could be if you earn too much per month. Or the SSA has not yet received a copy of your tax return from the IRS, Regardless, go to any SSA office as that is the place to start.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I received a first installment Dec. 2012- but nothing else since. I didn't do my taxes - I haven't been employed since before I had my 2 year- old. Should I speak to anyone at the SSA office? Or the same person that interviewed me when we were first approved?