Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I receive RSDI and SSI. In April I filed for an extension and

I receive RSDI and SSI. In April I filed for an extension and paid the SSA $500 in case I owed anything, but it turns out I owed nothing. Now, I'm trying to complete my return on TaxAct and get my $500 refund, and it says I was claimed as a dependent on my mom's return. If I really was claimed as a dependent, will I lose my Disability benefits?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your question.

MyVirtualCPA :

Your tax status has nothing to do with your entitlement to any benefits

MyVirtualCPA :

Therefore, if you were claimed as a dependent on your mother's return, you will still get your full benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

There is no impact

Customer:

OK. I just assumed that I would get more money if I were considered independent.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you owe no tax, and you paid in $500 the most you could get back is $500

MyVirtualCPA :

it doesn't matter if you are a dependent or not

Customer:

I mean my monthly benefits

MyVirtualCPA :

No, your benefits will not increase. They have nothing to do with your tax status

Customer:

TaxAct is asking me to select "Check here if you can NOT be claimed as a dependent" or "Check here if you can be claimed as a dependent." I'm never sure what to put.

MyVirtualCPA :

Check here if you can be claimed as a dependent

Customer:

Ok. Thank you. As I understand it, the definition of "dependent" is if someone else provides more than half my income. Correct?

MyVirtualCPA :

They provide more than half of your support - meaning they pay for your home, food, medical, etc

Customer:

Ok, thanks. :)

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome

MyVirtualCPA :

If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Carrie for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance and social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.
You may get a survey in the next couple of days. Your positive feedback will assist me with my status on the site. Please share your positive feelings with the site. Thanks, and have a great day.