LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If I got a inhiratence of money and both myself and husband

If I got a inhiratence of money and both myself and husband are on SSI disablty but we only get a small amount monthly plus on medicade for us both but I also have healthease.. Could I stop mine ,,,and get back on later or would it affect us both or should I go to the Social Security office...

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you received an inheritance and you have $39,000 in the bank, neither you nor your husband are eligible for SSI at the moment. And neither of you will be eligible again until the money is spent down such that you don't have more than $3,000 in non-exempt assets.

You are going to have to do something with the money, and a special needs trust is one idea. There are other possibilities, and you need to seriously speak with your attorney about getting this done as soon as possible.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

If you have any follow-up questions to my answers here, you may come back and ask them in this thread---at no additional charge------and I will be happy to assist you.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug