Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

This question relates to an overpayment of social security

This question relates to an overpayment of social security disability benefits and the collection process used by the SSA division.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Already Tried:
I no longer receive SS benefits and now have a claim filed by SSA to pay back an overpayment amount of $14,000. I filed a Request for Consideration but due to a death in the family, I could not attend the hearing. The SS office would not reset the hearing. Since that time (within 60 days) I filed a Request for Hearing by Administrative Judge but I have not received a hearing notice. However, yesterday, I received a statement to pay the $14,000 by August 2, 2013. What are there collections met
hod:

Response: It you are working, SSA can garnish your wages. Through Department of Treasury, SSA can intercept your tax refunds. In addition, deductions would be made from your retirement benefits in the future when you start to collect your benefits. For more information, click on the link below:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/improperpayments/recoveryEfforts.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can they garnish my spouse's wages or individual bank account in spouses's name?

Also, Is this typical that they would try to collect when the appeal has not been heard yet by an ALJ?

Response 1: No, they cannot.

Response 2: Yes, it is typical.