Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am 70 years old and began collecting social security at age

I am 70 years old and began collecting social security at age 67 (approx. $2400/mo.). I also periodically take a distribution from my SEP and I do some engineering consulting that clients report on Form 1099. I also subscribe to Medicare. I contributed to Social Security for my entire career and continue to make contributions based on my consulting revenue.

My wife of 15 years is approaching age 65. She is a US citizen but has never worked in the US nor paid into Social Security. However, she worked in Canada for 25 years and receives a monthly pension benefit (approx. US $2700) from the Ontario Power Generation Co., pension plan. She contributed to this plan over her 25 year career.

My questions follow:

1. Does my wife qualify for Medicare at age 65?

2. Does she qualify for a Spousal Benefit at age 66?

3. Does she qualify for a Spousal Benefit when I die?

Thank you

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your wife's pension from Canada will limit the amount of social security benefits she draws based on your earnings record

MyVirtualCPA :

Your wife will qualify for medicare at age 65 based on your earnings record

MyVirtualCPA :

She would be able to get a benefit of approximately $1,200 per month, but that amount would be reduced by 2/3 of the amount of her pension

MyVirtualCPA :

When you pass away, she is eligible for up to $2,400 of your benefit- but again, any benefit she receives would be reduced by 2/3 of whatever her pension is from her Canadian work.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

Thank you!! I may not like the answers but they are the same that I came up with. Your response was both timely and complete. Have a great day!

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

I just wanted to say thank you for the positive rating and the bonus. It was a pleasure working with you today and if you ever need another Social Security question answered please ask for me " MyVirtualCPA" I can also address any finance or tax question that you may have come up in the future.

I hope you have a great day and thanks again

Megan