dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  36 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My name isXXXXX (Bahnub) Giudice. My SSN is XXX-XX-XXXX.

Customer Question

My name isXXXXX (Bahnub) Giudice. My SSN is XXX-XX-XXXX. My DOB is 10/4/1955. I plan on retiring from the Dept of Veterans Affairs on 5/2/2014. MY EOD is 3/7/1977. I am in the CSRS-Offset retirement plan. My deceased x-husband XXXXX XXXXXph Giudice (XXX-XX-XXXX) died on 12/3/2011. We were married for 33 years. I am not affected by the Windfall Elimination Act nor the Government Pension Offset. My question is when I turn 62, how much SS can I collect off from George's SS and how will that affect my retirement annuity? Also, do I need to notify the SS office that I am retiring or is that all done through my work. Is there a reason to meet in person to discuss this? Also, I am the executor of George's will if that makes a difference. I know of HIPAA but George is deceased. Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 34 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

At age 62, you may take your spousal benefit which is one half of what your husband would have received at at 66. Likewise, there is NO offset against your retirement annuity. Further, at age 66, presumably your SS benefit will be higher than your spousal benefit. Therefore, you will then be entitled to your benefit but you cannot combine yours and your husbands' benefits. As for applying, you need to apply for both our spousal and your own retirement benefit but this can be done on line at ssa.gov.
Finally, being the executor does not make any difference. I wish you well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, this does seem contrary to what I was told previously. Being CSRS-Offset, I do pay SS. So my understanding is I will receive my annunity as if I was a regular CSRS retiree. Then when I turn 66 I will convert to SS and then I thought I would still receive the spousal retirement at a reduced amount.

Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
NO that is not correct. At 66 you will get your SS benefit, assuming it is higher than the spousal benefit. And if it is, you would no longer be entitled to the spousal benefit. Likewise, you will also receive your annuity benefit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Back to your first response, on line it says 60 for a widown (spousal benefit) not 62.

Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.
You said you were divorced. And though you are a widow, if your divorce came first, you must wait until age 62.