Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

I signed up for social security at age 62, but was denied because

I signed up for social security at age 62, but was denied because of my corporate earnings.
I have waited until age 66 to receive my full benifit. In April of 2013 I received 15,000 from social security saying they should have paid me that amount for 2011 since they had
decided to not count corporate earnings in 2011. But somehow waited 2 years to let me know that. I appealed, and they say they agree with me, and wanted their money back. So I sent it. But no one at social security wants to let me know what amount I will receive in Oct. at age 66. One person says, if I did not receive any money in those years I will receive full retirement. Another says I will only get the amount I would have gotten at age 62. What should I receive??
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

We are not affiliated with social security, so I can't give you a dollar total that you will receive at full retirement age.

MyVirtualCPA :

However, I can tell you that you will receive your full retirement benefit, if your first month of benefits is when you are 66 years old.

MyVirtualCPA :

You will NOT be given the amount you would have drawn at age 62

MyVirtualCPA :

You will be given the full amount, because effectively you have not taken benefits

Customer:

The ss office had me send in a request for withdrawal of application, but

Customer:

said It probably would not helpm

MyVirtualCPA :

Well effectively you did not have benefits for those years (age 62-66) correct?

Customer:

yes

MyVirtualCPA :

Then you will receive your full benefit at age 66. I don't see the problem

Customer:

I just believe that they have looked at my income and have decided I don't need the money. In fact one of their agents told me that.

MyVirtualCPA :

Well your income has nothing to do with your social security benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

And if one of the agents told you that, I would have gotten their name and reported them to a supervisor

Customer:

that what I told her. I do have her name. I need to know what the real amount

Customer:

will be in time to request a hearing if I need to, but no one will tell me that.

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry, I can't give you a dollar amount either - but I can say that if you did not receive benefits from age 62 forward, you will get your full amount

Customer:

Can you tell me what office or who I can contact to get this answer?

MyVirtualCPA :

You could go up to your local social security office, or call the national hotline at 1-800-772-1213

Customer:

Thank you

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. I'm sorry I don't have a more definitive answer...but, we don't have access to your personal information

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions today?

Customer:

Not right now.

MyVirtualCPA :

okay, glad I could be of assistance. If you would, please rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You can come back to this page and ask follow up questions if the need arisese

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, Vern for the opportunity to assist. I appreciate your positive rating and want to let you know that you can come visit me any time for any tax, finance, or social security question you may have. Thanks again!