Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am 57, my deceased husband would have been 65 this year.

I am 57, my deceased husband would have been 65 this year. Am Eligible to receive any of his benefits

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

You are entitled to widows benefits starting at age 60 - the age of eligibility is based on your age, not the age of your husband.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you are disabled, you could draw a benefit now - but that's the only time you can. You must wait until age 60 to draw benefits if you are not disabled.

MyVirtualCPA :

Your benefits at age 60 will be reduced slightly because you are drawing them before your full retirement age of 66

MyVirtualCPA :

If you wait until age 66 you will draw 100% of what he would have earned

Customer:

Thank you that was quick. I did receive widows benefits as my son was 3 when this happened but relinqueshed them after 5 years as I got remarried which lasted almost 10 years, and of course you dont get benefits if you remarry. But since I have been divorced 3 now and we were mRRIED FOR ALMOST TEN I AM WORRIED THAT I WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE complicated I know but HIS exwife currently gets his, sorry to bother you and thanks

MyVirtualCPA :

You can still draw off your first husband's record, because your marriage ended...

MyVirtualCPA :

and, if you remarry again after the age of 60 you will keep your benefit.

Customer:

oh you have setttled a lot of worries for me as I am really struggling right now and my bills are through the roof. Thank you so very much.

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. In 3 years you should get relief. Sorry it couldn't be sooner!

MyVirtualCPA :

Once you are satisfied with my answer, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

yes thank you because I certainly NEVER want to marry again!!!

MyVirtualCPA :

LOL

MyVirtualCPA :

Please don't forget to rate. You just made my day

Marianne,

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your finance, tax, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today

Thanks again!