Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am going back to using my maiden name. I need to change

I am going back to using my maiden name. I need to change this on my social security card. What do I need to get this done?
How long will it take if I go to the office itself? Will the info be change then?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

Customer:

Fine

MyVirtualCPA :

To process the name change you will need a copy of your birth certificate and a certified copy of your divorce decree

Customer:

I am using my maiden name and need to change my social security card to reflect that. What do I need to do that

Customer:

Does the change take place then or do I have to wait

MyVirtualCPA :

Here are the instructions: CLICK HERE

MyVirtualCPA :

You will get your new card within 10 business days of showing social security the proper records

Customer:

If I take this to a social secuirty office, do the changes take effect then? I was wondering how that would effect my pay, etc.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, the changes take effect then and you will get the card in 10 days or so

Customer:

Wonderful. Thank you so much for your help. Have a great day.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today