Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I receive ss benefits with no earning restrictions, My underage

I receive ss benefits with no earning restrictions, My underage child and her mother(age 48) each receive benefits through my ss.
Wife had earnings last year and ss wants money she received back. Law appears to say my earning restrictions(none) applies to them, Am I correct?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the earnings limit does apply to your child's mother.

MyVirtualCPA :

The earnings limit does not apply to your child.

MyVirtualCPA :

But if your child's mother earns over $15,120 per year, her benefit will be reduced $1 for every $2

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm truly sorry that this is not the news you had hoped to hear. Please don't shoot the messenger!

Customer:

What was answer?

MyVirtualCPA :

The answer was that the earnings limit does apply to the child's mother

Customer:

do you have ss statement to that effect?

Customer:

are you there?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, I am looking to see if I can find a publication for you

MyVirtualCPA :

But, the only time there is no earnings limit when you receive social security benefits is when you are full retirement age

Customer:

I am 74 and in full retirement age. Issue is theirr benefits derive from my funds

MyVirtualCPA :

It's the same thing as when your spouse draws a benefit at age 62 off your record - that benefit is reduced if the spouse also works

MyVirtualCPA :

The child's benefit does not have an earnings limit

MyVirtualCPA :

but your spouse/child's parent does

MyVirtualCPA :

I cannot find on the website where this is spelled out.

Customer:

Me neither.Thankyou

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Customer:

good job

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you. If you would, please rate using the feature at the bottom of your screen. This ensures I get credit for assisting you today

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It's a pleasure working with you today.