Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I get Social Security of 485 and food stamps of 200 each month.

I get Social Security of 485 and food stamps of 200 each month. I'm divorced and live alone. My rent is 675. I'll be 65 in August. My son has been helping me with rent for past year but he is not longer able to. I wont be able to afford my rent without SSI. Will I qualify? Will it be reduced because my son was helping me even though he isn't anymore.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

The federal benefit level for SSI is set at $710. Your social security would count against that income, with the exception of the first $20.

MyVirtualCPA :

Your food stamps would not count towards that limit

MyVirtualCPA :

Have you thought about qualifying for HUD Section 8 assistance?

MyVirtualCPA :

With HUD Section 8 you would get a voucher and your rent would be paid by the government.

Customer:

Yes, I know that. I'm wondering about the help from my son. I already live in a subsidized senior apartment. I'm on a waiting list a less expensive building but the wait list is approx. 3 years. I have health problems so moving would be a big problem right now.

MyVirtualCPA :

The assistance from your son would count, but if you no longer receive it then it will not count

Customer:

If I could receive 710 between my social security and SSI, that would cover me rent.

MyVirtualCPA :

I would apply for it.

MyVirtualCPA :

This would be a big help to you

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Customer:

Social Security had told me that my benefit would be reduced by the amount my son is helping me. But he can't help me anymore. What should I tell them?

MyVirtualCPA :

Tell them that your son cannot assist you any more...and give them a reason why

Customer:

ok. his son is going to college so that's why he can't help me anymore. If they refuse me, can I apply again or appeal their decision?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you can appeal their decision

MyVirtualCPA :

and you can always make another application at a later date

Customer:

Do you recommend I apply in person, or they told me to apply online.

MyVirtualCPA :

I would just apply online, and then if you have questions about the process, then go to your local office

Customer:

i'll try that first. Do I have to wait until I turn 65 to apply, or can I apply now. How long does it take to be approved? I'll be 65 at the end of August. My landlord gave me a break for 2 months on my rent to pay 450 so my SS would cover. But it will go back to 675 in September.

MyVirtualCPA :

You can apply now, since you are eligible for social security benefits

Customer:

ok, thank you for your help today.

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.