Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My wife was previously married for 22 years and was legally

Customer Question

My wife was previously married for 22 years and was legally divorced 25 years ago. The couple had 3 children together.

My wife started collecting SS at age 66 and her current age is 69. Her ex-husband, who was several years older than she, passed away approximately 8-10 years ago. We do know he was with a women for many years, but not sure if he was legally married to her.

I am soon to be 65 and not currently collecting SS.

Is my wife entitled to any SS benefits from her ex-husband??

Thank you
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your wife's ex husband.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you and your wife got married before she reached the age of 60, she cannot draw a survivor benefit off her ex husband.

MyVirtualCPA :

If she remarried before age 60, she no longer qualifies for benefits off her ex spouse's record

MyVirtualCPA :

whether or not he was living with or married to another woman does not factor into her eligibility

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If there's nothing else I can assist you with, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Bart,

I see that you may have had trouble in our chat session. If you would, please review my response. If satisfied, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks