Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

can back child support and current child support be garnished

can back child support and current child support be garnished from a father's SSID benefits if the child is receiving SS benefits that equal only half of what he is supposed to pay?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

To answer your question - yes, child support can be garnished from SSDI benefits

Customer:

in the state of TX?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, in any state.

Customer:

even if the child is receiving SS benefits

MyVirtualCPA :

There are only a few reasons why social security benefits can be garnished, and to pay back child support is one of them

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, even if the child is receiving SS benefits. The SS benefits are separate from the child support obligation

Customer:

that's what I thought. I"m going to be taxed at least 30% on this and he's only providing 1/2 of what he is obligated to

Customer:

thank you

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Customer:

nope that is it

Customer:

I deposited that money

Customer:

do I need to do anything else

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you need to rate my response as "excellent" so that I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. IT was a pleasure working with you tonight.