Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Canmy fiancé, who receives SSI, for cerebral palsy, become

Canmy fiancé, who receives SSI, for cerebral palsy, become eligible for SSDI through my social security when we get married, or will he just lose SSi with no recourse?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately, you cannot draw a social security benefit off of someone else's record - it's only retirement benefits that you can get a benefit off of your spouse.

MyVirtualCPA :

So, if you earn over a certain limit your fiance will lose his SSI.

MyVirtualCPA :

There would be no recourse on this, unfortunately

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize that this is not optimal, nor is it fair. However, I must give you an honest reply. Please don't shoot the messenger!

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have further questions?

MyVirtualCPA :

If you have no further questions, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX hoping .
MyVirtualCPA :

I know.

MyVirtualCPA :

If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, and social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.