LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

My mother is elderly and has Alzheimers. I have a sister

Customer Question

My mother is elderly and has Alzheimer's. I have a sister who's name is XXXXX XXXXX similar to my mother's. My sister has already proven that she is not to be trusted (stolen money and things from grandparents). Online search sites show my sister's and my mother's names, ages and addresses intermingled - meaning, my sister's name with my mother's age and address history. My sister lived with my parents as an adult and would have had access to personal information in their office. I suspect that my sister is using my mother's social security number. How can I tell for sure and what could she possibly accomplish? I what to do what I can to protect my mother.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of the situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While it would be all but impossible for your sister to use your mother's SSAN to get your mom's benefits, your sister could use your mom's social security number to apply for credit and buy things that when not repaid, the creditor would look to your mother first---because it would be her identification used.

You can have a credit check run on your mom with the three major credit reporting agencies and see if there are any creditors listed there that should not be there. If there are, it could be that you sister has committed identity theft and is pretending to be your mother in dealing with lenders and retailers. If that is the case, you would make a report to the police.

It would also constitute elder abuse for her to do that to your mother---and that is a separate crime.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,