Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Ive been collecting unemployment for slightly over a year

I've been collecting unemployment for slightly over a year and still do although I'm applying for SSDI. My thinking is that Until now I could work from home, although I can no longer work away from home--now, however, my memory and thought processes overall are gradually becoming impaired. So will the two agencies overlap and cause problems for me?

Secondly, I'm filling out a form that asks if I was fired due to not getting along with others on the job. I was fired by a "bully boss" of 4 years, but on record the company is saying I quite. Which is to my advantage in gaining disability?

Thank you in advance,
Barbara

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

Customer:

Hi anyone there?

MyVirtualCPA :

You can collect unemployment and social security benefits at the same time - that is acceptable from the standpoint of social security. However, you might run into issues with your state unemployment agency, because you are saying on one hand you are able to and are looking for work, but on the other hand you are saying that you can't work because you are disabled.

MyVirtualCPA :

But, unemployment benefits do not count towards your earnings limit. I'd suggest dropping unemployment once social security disability is approved.

Customer:

Will do. What about the "firing" question. Should In say yes or no?

MyVirtualCPA :

Well, if they confirm with your work, your work would say you quit. So I would say that "no" you did not leave because of problems getting along with your other workers.

Customer:

Thanks so much! By the way, are most aplications truly rejected?......

MyVirtualCPA :

Many of them are on the first try, but you can appeal the decision. Once you are denied, you need to hire a social security attorney and they will help you get the benefits you need.

Customer:

I have Heart A-Fib, Diabetis, High blood pressure, Arthritis, and vision problems

MyVirtualCPA :

I couldn't guess if you will be approved or not. Social security can be a little unpredictable

Customer:

You've been great! Thanks so much!

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today