Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I need to talk about retirement benefits.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

What do you need to know about retirement benefits

MyVirtualCPA :

I need to know what questions you have, before I can better assist you .

Customer:

I am receiving disability benefits at this time. I am unable to work due to multiple health problems..If I apply for retirement, will I still

Customer:

get to keep my disability? Can you tell me how much money I will get if I retire?

MyVirtualCPA :

If you are receiving disability benefits, they will automatically change to retirement benefits when you reach full retirement age, which is 66. So, you will continue your disability until full retirement age, and then it will switch automatically.

MyVirtualCPA :

You can't draw disability and retirement at the same time.

Customer:

So, I guess disability is more than retirement would be?

MyVirtualCPA :

Also, I could not tell you what your benefit is. We are not social security, therefore we don't have access to your personal information. However, your retirement benefit should be slightly higher than your disability benefit - by slightly I mean no more than $100 higher

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, disability is more than what you would get if you applied for retirement right now, because if you did it right now they would reduce your benefit because you are not 66

Customer:

thank you

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

No

MyVirtualCPA :

Okay if you would, please rate my response using the feature at the bottom of your screen. This gives me credit for assisting you todya

MyVirtualCPA :

today*

Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.