Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I was married 29 years to husband "A" and we got a divorce.

I was married 29 years to husband "A" and we got a divorce. I was told that I since I have not been employed for many many years and the fact that I am physically not able to work that I could draw SSI or SSDI benefits from husband "A"'s social security, is that correct? If that is true, then what happens should I get remarried to another man (husband "B") ? Would I continue to get SSI or SSDI benefits from husband "A" or would my benefits end as soon as I would remarry to a new men (husband "B") ?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How old are you, and is husband A still living?

Customer:

I am 59 y/o. Ex-husband is 64

MyVirtualCPA :

So he's still alive?

Customer:

yes he is.

MyVirtualCPA :

The reason I ask, is because if he is deceased, you can get a benefit starting at age 50 if you are disabled

MyVirtualCPA :

However, as he is still alive the earliest you could draw a benefit would be age 62

MyVirtualCPA :

And your benefit would be equal to approximately 35% of his benefit. Your benefit would be a full 50% of his benefit if you drew it at age 66 instead.

Customer:

Ok, but I have been divorced from husband "A" for about 10 years. When I do reach age 62 and obtain benefits, what happens if I marry another man. Would those benefits cease or continue with husband "B" ?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, if you remarried you would lose those benefits from husband A, but you could pick up benefits off Husband B

Customer:

So are the soc. sec benefits called SSDI ? or just SSI ?

MyVirtualCPA :

They are called social security retirement.

MyVirtualCPA :

SSDI is something different, and you can't draw an SSDI benefit off someone else's record

MyVirtualCPA :

SSI is for those who have no income and virtually no assets

Customer:

Ok. Thanks. You've answered my questions.

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm glad I could help. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

OK. Am I able to save and print our dialog?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, using your browser's print function it should print off

MyVirtualCPA :

also, if you log in to your JustAnswer.com account, the answer will be there for your review

MyVirtualCPA :

Please don't forget to rate before exiting the chat...