LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If a person is drawing Social Security Disability benefits

If a person is drawing Social Security Disability benefits , and they are left money from a trust , will this effect their benefits.. This is Social Security Disability Income, not SSI.. Thanks for any help you can give me in this question..
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The receipt of money from a trust, or as a gift from a third party, or even passive income---such as income from a rental property----is not considered active income and has absolutely no effect on your ability to collect a full social security disability benefit.

In fact when you are on social security disability, you can even work some and not lose your benefits.

Social Security has what is called a trial work period. It is a period of 9 separate months where you may earn as much as you want. In 2013, any months you earn less than $750 gross wages in do not count. After you have had a total of 9 months where you earned more than $750 gross, you will be able to work and continue to receive benefits so long as you do not earn more than $1,040 per month.

Here is a link to a social security site which explains this in greater detail: http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/ssdi-only-employment-supports.htm

But, specifically as to the trust money---it has no negative effect on a person's eligibility for your disability benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug
LawTalk, Attorney
Experience: I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My I ask another ?? Or is it 30.00 a ?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
You may ask, of course. Just be sue to rate my assistance to you.

Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think you answered question.. Thank you for your help.. I have a friend on SSI and she said it would affect it.. But I told her there was a difference between SSDI and SSI... So thank you so much for your help..

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

If you are now receiving SSI---which is an asset/income based welfare payment---yes it would make a difference. People receiving SSI do so because they are essentially poor and lave limited resources. But social security disability is a benefit you pay for---like insurance, and you are entitled to claim it so long as you cannot work and earn over a certain sum each month.

You are fine---disability rules are completely different from SSI.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for clearing this up for me.. I should not have a problem since I have worked most of my life and I collect SSDI.. This has helped a lot .. Thanks again for explaining all of this out for me.. If I have anymore questions I will ask for you.. Thank you Doug..

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure, Dave.

Have a great eveing my friend!

Doug