LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If a person is drawing Social Security Disability benefits

If a person is drawing Social Security Disability benefits , and they are left money from a trust , will this effect their benefits.. This is Social Security Disability Income, not SSI.. Thanks for any help you can give me in this question..
Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The receipt of money from a trust, or as a gift from a third party, or even passive income---such as income from a rental property----is not considered active income and has absolutely no effect on your ability to collect a full social security disability benefit.

In fact when you are on social security disability, you can even work some and not lose your benefits.

Social Security has what is called a trial work period. It is a period of 9 separate months where you may earn as much as you want. In 2013, any months you earn less than $750 gross wages in do not count. After you have had a total of 9 months where you earned more than $750 gross, you will be able to work and continue to receive benefits so long as you do not earn more than $1,040 per month.

Here is a link to a social security site which explains this in greater detail: http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/ssdi-only-employment-supports.htm

But, specifically as to the trust money---it has no negative effect on a person's eligibility for your disability benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My I ask another ?? Or is it 30.00 a ?

You may ask, of course. Just be sue to rate my assistance to you.

Doug
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think you answered question.. Thank you for your help.. I have a friend on SSI and she said it would affect it.. But I told her there was a difference between SSDI and SSI... So thank you so much for your help..

Good evening,

If you are now receiving SSI---which is an asset/income based welfare payment---yes it would make a difference. People receiving SSI do so because they are essentially poor and lave limited resources. But social security disability is a benefit you pay for---like insurance, and you are entitled to claim it so long as you cannot work and earn over a certain sum each month.

You are fine---disability rules are completely different from SSI.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for clearing this up for me.. I should not have a problem since I have worked most of my life and I collect SSDI.. This has helped a lot .. Thanks again for explaining all of this out for me.. If I have anymore questions I will ask for you.. Thank you Doug..

My pleasure, Dave.

Have a great eveing my friend!

Doug