Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

More questions! Are you there?

More questions! Are you there?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

Customer:

Yes, I am here

Customer :

I went to the SS site to apply for benefits today and have a few questions about that.

Customer :

I filled out the questionnaire. Is that all I need to do?

Customer:

Yes, that should be all you need to do

Customer :

I turned 66 on May 24. They asked if I wanted to apply as of today, and I said "no" and was given a choice dating back as far as May. I said, yes, to applying as of May 2013. Does that mean that my monthly checks will start as of today, or as of May 24?

Customer:

Your checks will start for may, so you will get a check with lump sum benefits for may, june, and july probably in august

Customer :

Also, it appears that I had no choice but to apply for Medicare as well (but not "Part B"). How does that affect the coverage I now have under my wife's

Customer :

health insurance plan (Harvard Pilgrim HMO)?

Customer :

Harvard has told my wife to continue under her plan and not under Medicare. It did not appear to me to be an option to not sign up for Medicare.

Customer:

Yes, you will sign up for Medicare A

Customer :

And what are the implications of that for my coverage under Harvard Pilgrim?

Customer:

You would have to direct those questions to your employer's healthcare plan administrator

Customer:

I would not know without reviewing your plan documents

Customer :

Is there any way I can not sign up for Medicare A and still receive monthly SS benefits?

Customer :

Is there any way I can get SS benefits and NOT apply for Medicare Part A?

Customer :

Will Harvard Pilgrim know that I have signed up for Medicare?

Customer:

Medicare A is free

Customer:

But, you can tell social security you don't want Medicare

Customer :

OK, but that did not appear possible on the form I filled out.

Customer:

Well, there's no reason to decline Medicare A

Customer :

OK, thanks. Once again, you have been very helpful! (Assuming all your answers are correct!)

Customer:

Glad I could help

Customer:

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visitCustomerfor any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the generous bonus - it is much appreciated!

Have a great day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you there today? Please let me know when you are. Thanks.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

I am here. How may I assist you today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is a question relating to my wife's social security benefits. She is 66 years old and will be 67 on August 21, 2013. (She is working full time, but I don't that matters after her 66th birthday, correct? Please confirm. If she filed by tomorrow, July 23, 2013, could she still collect a year's worth of SS benefits that have accrued since her 66th birthday, or is it too late, so that that year is lost?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up question. She can work full time and still draw a benefit. If she applied for social security now, the farthest they can go back is six months. Anything other than that is lost. I'm truly sorry that this is the case, but social security must do this to avoid people asking for a large lump sum at one time.

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

(1) If she wanted to apply to get the six months benefit, when is the latest she can do so? Again, her birthday is XXXXX 21.

(2) If she wants to get the higher payout she will be due when she reaches 67, when does she apply for that?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
1) It's a rolling six months, so she can apply at any time and get up to six months back benefits.

2) If she wants a higher payout when she reaches 67 she can apply now, and say that she wants to start the benefits in August.

Thanks again for your reply, and please don't forget to rate as 'Excellent' so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last questions for now. How does it work with her age 66 level of benefit vs. her age 67 level of benefit? I would assume that if she receives ANY benefits for age 66, that means that she never gets the higher payout she would receive if she delays receiving benefits until after she reaches 67, correct? In other words, she would have to wait to apply until August 21, 2013 to start receiving benefits at the higher level. Do I understand this correctly?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. The benefit goes up by 8% each year you delay benefits, but this goes up a little each month so if she applied now, she would still have an increased benefit although it would not be the full 8% until she reaches 67.

So, if she applied now, but had the 6 month retroactive benefit, her benefit would go up by 4% not the full 8%. Hope this makes sense.

If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for further assisting you today. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Makes sense to go up month by month, presumably 2/3 of 1% per month. Thank you.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is correct. Thanks again for your follow up, and please don't forget to rate so that I can get credit for assisting you further. Thanks again.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your positive rating - and generous bonus. Please feel free to come back here if you have more questions. I understand that applying for social security can be confusing. Thanks again.